Lifeguarding Instructor | Online + Classroom
CLASS SETTING: Online + Classroom / Pool / Skills Check
- Combines the flexibility of online training with instructor-led skills check
- Start taking your online portion immediately
- Convenient locations and times for in-person or virtual skills check with experienced instructors
This instructor-level American Red Cross course trains Lifeguarding Instructor Candidates to teach the basic-level American Red Cross Lifeguarding courses.
The instructor course is offered in a blended learning format that includes an online Introduction to the Lifeguarding Instructor Course to be completed before the first classroom session. The online Introduction to the Lifeguarding Instructor Course consists of an orientation to the American Red Cross, an orientation to the Lifeguarding Instructor course, as well as content on how to prepare and teach the courses. The classroom component is made up of a precourse skills session and four course sessions that include practice-teaching assignments.
Instructor candidates are required to have the instructor’s manual, participant’s manual and course presentations or DVD at the first classroom session. All participant resources are available for purchase at the Red Cross Store; the store is accessible via a link provided in the Red Cross Learning Center. Digital course manuals are available for download upon launching the class. Additional digital resources for instructor candidates can be accessed in the Red Cross Learning Center in the Instructor Candidate Resources section. While instructor candidates may use either a print or digital Lifeguarding Manual, they must bring a print version of the Lifeguarding Instructor’s Manual to each session of the instructor course.
- Minimum age: 17 years on or before the last day of the course
- Possess a current Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED
- Complete the Online Session for the Lifeguarding Instructor course
- Complete the precourse skills verification session.
CRITERIA FOR COURSE COMPLETION AND CERTIFICATION:
- Successfully complete the online Introduction to the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor course.
- Successfully complete the Precourse Skills Session.
- Attend and actively participate in all course sessions.
- Successfully complete class activities, including the required practice-teaching assignments.
- Demonstrate instructor-level skill competency in all skills and scenarios.
- Pass the final written exam with a minimum grade of 80 percent
Candidates who successfully complete this course will receive a certificate for Lifeguarding Instructor which is valid for 2 years.