Lifeguarding Waterfront Skills Module | Classroom
CLASS SETTING: Classroom / Pool / Skills Check
- In-person training that combines lecture with hands-on skills sessions
- Lead by knowledgeable and experienced instructors
- Instructor-led skills check
This basic-level American Red Cross module teaches lifeguards the skills and knowledge needed to prevent and respond to emergencies in non-surf, open-water areas found at public parks, resorts, summer camps, and campgrounds.
Students who successfully complete this module will receive a certificate for Waterfront Skills which is valid for 2 years.
Candidates must have a current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED.
- Be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
- Swim 550 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards to complete the skill sequence.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or headfirst, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
- Attend the entire course and participate in all class sessions.
- Actively participate in all course activities, including assuming various roles during scenarios.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills.
- Pass the final skills scenarios.
- Successfully pass final written exams with a minimum grade of 80%.